Friday, April 13, 2012

Dead End

Here we go again, getting distracted from original plan.  Instead of a color tour, we are going ' way ' vintage.


Down a rough road,


Past some amazingly tall, virgin timbers,  
By huge beds of wild, spring Leeks,



Beyond the old car, or what once was an old car, maybe a moonshine runner...

Still in it's garage of long, long ago.
Under the log on the right is a concrete wall.

Not believing what we found where our friend is logging.
 Of course we entered.  What is it? and How long has it been here?
The ceiling is etched, convex, eerie.  It even has a stovepipe or vent centered in the back.  The walls, ceiling, floor, all are concrete, but how old, I wonder.  The floor is clean., mysterious.

 The corners are angled.  The entire room is probably 7 X 9 ft.  I'm wondering if it was a cellar, an ice house, not likely with a chimney, or is it a vent.  It's entirely underground, maybe a bunker of sorts, storage for moonshine?  There was an old porcelain battery cover lying outside the cave.  What's your guess?

 There were several foundation locations, we found at least half a dozen.  Was this a location of homes, a resort, logging camp?  Dad once told the family that there used to be several homes along here.
Interesting., but we all are still stumped by the bunker.  I say it was moonshine storage.  It's a bit more interesting a story to tell than an ice house.
 Now, to get out of this ' dead end ' situation we got into.
Have a great weekend and see what you can find at the end of a dead end road.  Life is full of surprises.  As for me, I think I will go plant some found sumac and dream of some Leek Soup.  They weren't quite ready.


Now, get out there and have some fun.
and
BlessYourHeart

10 comments:

  1. Help me out, does anyone know where all of my previous posts disappeared to....I am so mad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so upset...everything is gone somewhere in blogland...I have lost everything...even all of my dear followers...so sorry. I do not know what the he** happened.
    Can any of you tell me how to get everything back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic adventure.

    I would say it is a storm shelter from tornadoes. There is a vent in our old one.

    Canned goods were kept in some storm shelters because like caves they maintain an even temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dar, I just found this old blogpost after seeing your comment about our connection through Jack Darnell and how virtually real our friendship with you and Bill has become. I'll keep comments here short for it seems you have abandoned this blog long ago.

    I have to say that I believe this was a part of an old moonshine operation! Check around that car for extra tanks...a tell-tale sign of haulin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting. And yes I love dead end roads too (as long as they're not to muddy)...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh How Interesting.... Gotta love it. We love to hike WAY back in the woods where the pioneers used to live... Always makes me wonder about them and their lives back then... That bunker is amazing.. Your guess for moonshine storage sounds good.

    Gotta love being out on dead-end roads.. There are always so many treasures to find.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, an ice house for a logging camp might make sense in your area! hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply beautiful colours...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. An interesting post with some nice pictures. That is an old car (or part of one).

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete